What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s created by partial fuel combustion often caused by a lack of oxygen. In your home, appliances that use natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are susceptible. Especially if they are not working correctly or have been installed incorrectly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from neighboring garages, as well as fireplaces that aren’t working right could also create carbon monoxide. CO is poisonous to the body and is fatal at increased levels or with prolonged exposure.