Carbon monoxide connects to red blood cells, robbing your body of the oxygen it has to have to thrive. It blends with these cells more than 200 times more easily than oxygen, resulting in a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation.
Carbon monoxide, instead of oxygen, then gets carried to the essential organs via the bloodstream. Simply put, carbon monoxide deprives your body of oxygen. Organs require oxygen; without it, they begin to suffocate.
Your body takes a long time to get rid of carbon monoxide; however, it can be taken in much more rapidly.