Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues later. We're going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't identify where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A technician can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's a problem with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's best to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.